Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Market Lake - June 15, 2016

Finally - a day off where I have time to make a run out to Market Lake.  I had to work a late one last night (11:30 pm) but I wasn't going to waste my day doing something like - - - sleeping.  

First up were the Pelicans that took off as I drove north.


I just about drove right by the Great Blue Heron as he stood along the far edge of the water.



Then it was around the corner and a bit east to check on the Burrowing Owl.  

And Look!!!!  

Is this Mrs. Burrowing Owl???



I'm pretty sure the paler one on the right is the one I usually take photos of.  The one on the left is much darker in color - and very shy also as she (?) didn't stick around long after I got there.  She flew to the other side of the road and out a ways and kept an eye on us.  



The lighter colored one sat for a time but eventually flew over to join the other one.
 

Maybe one of these days there will be little ones to photograph!!

I went back to the trees to look for owls and found the 3 Long-eared Owls sitting together on a branch.  They're looking more and more like adults everyday!


Lots of rabbits to see.



And I also spied a Weasel !!!



We stood and looked at each other and then he quickly disappeared.  I looked but couldn't spot him again.  

Back to check on the Long-eared - looks like nap time!



Walked out to the east side to look for the Great Horned Owls.  I walked quickly - trying to outrun the mosquitos!!!!

Here's one of the parents 
  

And one of the kids  
 

There was another of the kids just to the right of this one but he was back behind the branches so no shots of him.  Then I made a bee-line back to the car!!

Went back around the corner to check on the Burrowing Owls before I left and the pair of them were back by the road.





I left them as another car pulled up.  

Found another Great Blue Heron.



These were the "smallest" of the baby Canada Geese I saw.  Most of them - it's hard to tell the difference between the adults and the kids.


And I finally got an Eastern Kingbird to sit still long enough for some shots.


That was my morning!  Hoping to go back sometime tomorrow but we'll have to wait and see.

1 comment: