Thursday, June 9, 2016

The Burrowing Owl finds some Lunch!!!

Hope you took a look at my first post - it was pretty photo heavy so I decided to put the shots of the Burrowing Owl in a separate post.  Hope you take a look at both of them!!

I'd already driven around the corner and sat and watched the Burrowing Owl for a bit and when I get done walking the trees I've been going back to see him a second time.  So glad I did today!!

I'd left him sitting on the fence post and he was in the same spot when I got back.  He sat there for awhile - looking left.  Looking right.  Checking out the sky above him.  Then he looked to his left at something and Took Off!!

I tho't my fun was over but he landed just down the trail a ways - I tho't maybe he'd spied a bug or a mouse out in the open and from where I was at I couldn't see what it was.  I moved the car (instead of getting out and walking closer to him) and I can see he's found something but still can't see what it is. 

He finally picks it up and  . . .

Look What He's Got!!! 



It appears the snake - a Garter Snake?? - has his tail wrapped around the Owl's tail !!

I'm pretty sure that's not going to help him any!!

Lucky for me the Burrowing Owl picks it up and brings it back over near the dirt pile so I move the car again and park and watch. 

He keeps a death grip on him with those long talons he's got.





 

He'd stop to check to make sure no one was sneaking up on him while he was taking care of the snake.





My fun was finally over as he hid his little snake away and came back without it.  I've only seen one Burrowing Owl so I have no idea if there's another or not.  Did he hide the snake away for himself or is he feeding someone else??  I'll keep watching!!


Thanks for looking!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment