Monday, October 24, 2016

Just Two Owls


It's been over a month since I've been out to Market Lake!  It slows down this time of year as most of the birds head south for the Winter but I went anyway - was just hoping for some shots of the Great Horned Owl since they stay all year. 

The only thing I saw along the water were Coots.  I did see a Great Blue Heron but he was already poised to take flight when I finally saw him.  So it was on to the trees. 

And I wasn't too far down the path and it started to sprinkle on me.  I tho't - Well, it's not too bad.  So then it started to RAIN!!  I just about turned around and headed for the car but kept going north and didn't get too far and the rain was done.  Right decision!

Unfortunately I spooked one of the Great Horned Owls as I walked north.  I never even saw him but watched to see how far he flew and then I really kept an eye out for it.  And was lucky enough to spot him again - this time he stayed for some photos.


Walked a bit further and turned around.  The Great Horned Owl took off when he saw me coming again.  I can't walk those trees without scanning them as I go by - looking and looking - in hopes of seeing a Northern Saw Whet again.

I haven't seen a NSWhet since May 24th and I haven't spotted one myself since March 31st.  

But guess what I found today????!!!!!

I'd already walked by him once - but like I said - I can't walk those trees without looking for them!  Good thing!!

He was hidden pretty good! Here's the far-away shot.


Don't even try - I'll get you one a bit closer.


Now you can see him - right there in the center.  He had a good spot - hard to see him OR get a photo of him.  But I'm happy with what I got!!







Yeah - I tried every angle!!

What a Great Morning!!!  Hope you enjoyed the photos!!




 

1 comment: