Thursday, March 16, 2017

Market Lake

Yes, it's that time of year again when I start running up to Market Lake.  Every Chance I Get!!!  I've already been 4 times but the first 2 trips there was nothing happening.  Oh!  I did get a shot of a Squirrel.


So then I waited and went back out yesterday morning before work.  More birds are showing up and I'm always happy to see - and hear - the Sandhill Cranes.  These first two were south of Market Lake and I had to slam on the brakes and back up for them. 



Then these two were close to the road when I actually got to Market Lake.  Sat and listened to them calling.  Can you hear them??


Lots of Canada Geese everywhere you look and the ducks are starting to arrive.  Most of them were too far from the road for photos but I did get a few shots of the Red-winged Blackbirds who like to perch on the cat-tails.


Don and I had made a quick trip out and walked the trees on February 19 but I didn't see the Great Horned Owls that time.  But yesterday I happened to spot tail feathers in a nest so I'm hoping we'll have babies one of these days!  And if there's a nest there has to be a male Great Horned Owl close by and I was lucky and spotted him - he was sitting quite low - and as soon as I spotted him I came to a stop and he took off down the row of trees.  Means I'll have to walk by him to get out of the trees!

And as I made my way back south I spotted him again.  This time he stayed put and I snapped a few photos and moved on.


And I got lucky and spotted some Snow Geese flying over.


I'm off today so I decided to head back to Market Lake and try my luck again.  Couple of Sandhill Cranes but they were far from the road.  Lots and Lots of Canada Geese.  Coots.  And I was surprised to find a Great Blue Heron.


He didn't seem interested in moving so I drove on.  Red-winged Blackbirds were on the cat-tails again.


And out to the west I could see Northern Shovelers.
 

 Something fun to see was this Cottontail Rabbit - sitting in a tree!!  Thanks to Patti Pickett for posting this first - I knew to watch for him!  He's just there below the red " V ".


Closer shot.


I'm not sure what he's thinking - living up in the top of this tree from him is the nesting Great Horned Owl !!!  CrAzY Rabbit !!

Today I knew to watch for the male Great Horned Owl when I got further down the trees and he was in the same spot as yesterday.  Today he didn't take off and didn't seem to be bothered by me being there. 

Can you see him?  He's there in the center of the photo -



We'll get a bit closer - 


There he is -


As I'm leaving the trees I spy another rabbit -


Lots of Ring-billed Gulls - wonder if this is some kind of mating dance they were doing?

Heads down -


Heads up -
 

And finally a flyover by the Trumpeter Swans -
 

Even slow I had a great time!!
Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment