Tuesday, April 11, 2017

For the Birds

I had yesterday off so I loaded up and was out of the house at 8 am with the camera.  As I drove down Sunnyside I could see an Osprey hovering over a little pond by the road - it's called Ryder Park - but with the traffic I couldn't get over so hit the interstate and went on north.

My first stop was to check the spot Patty Pickett took me to for the Burrowing Owl.  I parked and could see one at the far-away spot but then about half-way between that and me I spotted a pair of Burrowing Owls watching me.

  
Hoping this pair will produce a family and I can check in on occasion!  Over to the left a ground squirrel kept an eye on them.


I watched for a bit but they were getting very sleepy.



When I left I about drove right on by a Golden Eagle sitting just off the road.  Couldn't believe he didn't leave when I stopped and he was still there when I left.


From there I went up to Hamer, Idaho to make a visit to Camas which is also a National Wildlife Refuge.  I was looking for Short-eared Owls and found quite a few.  


I know - it looks like I should straighten my camera out but he's sitting on the side of the road.  

Down the road I found some Yellow-headed Blackbirds singing right next to the road.


Back to the south I headed and made a stop at Market Lake.  It's still pretty slow there.  I did get lucky and find a pair of Sandhill Cranes close to the road.  Here's one of them.


 I was also lucky and spotted a Porcupine!  What a Cutie!!!


There were still some Snow Geese out on the water.  The dark one is what's called a "blue-morph" Snow Goose.
 

There were Red-breasted Mergansers


A nice Ruddy Duck

  
And a Cinnamon Teal pair floating by a Mallard pair.



Today - Have to work later but since this Ryder Pond is close I drove over this morning with my camera.  I was the only one there this morning so just sat in the car and watched the birds.

The Osprey did a fly-over but only stayed a minute and flew off.


 A female Red-breasted Merganser caught what looks like someone's Koi from their pond.  


 A Great Blue Heron moved to the far side from me and moved in when the Mergansers caught another fish.  None of them ended up with it!


Trying for another fish


Success!!  More pond fish??
 

Usually it takes a bit to get it turned the right direction to go down but he must've practiced because it was down in an instant!


Waiting for something else to come by


An Osprey finally came back and he made a catch over in the corner from me and flew to the south with it.


 
Was a nice way to spend the morning! 
 

1 comment: