Monday, May 30, 2016

Market Lake - May 30, 2016

I've had 3 midnights in a row and they kicked my butt this week!!  This coming week my schedule is more "normal" so I'm looking forward to that!!  I have today off but Don had to work so I ran out to Market Lake this morning.  Expected it to be busy but it wasn't so I was glad I'd gone.

While I was watching the Short-eared Owl out hunting I look in my side view mirror and here comes a Pelican flying low above the canal.  They're always really spooked as soon as I stop so I waited in the car and watched to see where he'd end up.  When he finally landed I slowly drove closer and managed to get one of my better shots of a Pelican.


Didn't see much else to make me stop and there was a car at the trees so I decided I'd go around the corner and start with the Burrowing Owl.  Met Patti Pickett and she told me he was there and to watch for a couple other birds too.

The Burrowing Owl was in his usual spot and I spent some time watching him and snapping photos.


Sure glad there's one so close and easy to spot!!

Unless he's hunkered down in the grass that is!!


Then it was back to the trees for my walk.  There were 3 Long-eared Owl young sitting at the beginning.  I didn't stop as there was a family coming in and I tho't I'd be nice and let them see them too.  I guess I should have stayed and watched them as they must have gotten too close and caused the owls to have to move.  I finally found them again but way to the north.


They kept a close eye on me as I left.


I walked along the outside edge of the trees to see the Great Horned Owl family - the Magpies were sure squawking - the one tree was full of young ones!


Found the owls - 3 young and a parent.




And the parent.
 

Time to leave and see what else I can find.  There were 2 Cinnamon Teal ducks that must've been fighting over a girl.  They were really going at it!!

  
One of them finally paddled away with the girl !

I finally spotted the Willet that Patti had told me about - hidden in the grass was a little tiny baby!!


And a tiny little Kildeer was running back and forth across the road and hiding in the grass.

  
Was a great way to spend the morning of my day off!!  Now it's back to work tomorrow!! 

2 comments:

  1. The picture with the three owls on the branch is ADORABLE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture with the three owls on the branch is ADORABLE!!!!

    ReplyDelete