Tuesday, May 17, 2016

New Owls!!

I'm off this morning - have to be to work at 3:15 - so I decided I'd run up to Market Lake this morning.  

Right Decision!!

It always pays to be nice to the other people you meet in the trees and share information if you can.  Today it paid off nicely.  They told me where to find the Burrowing Owls so I left the trees and headed that way - only to run into Rob & Collette Belnap who also pointed me in the right direction.

I'm in LOVE with these Owls!!

These are Burrowing Owls and just as the name implies - they are ground dwellers.  When I got there he (?) was sitting out on the ground.


But then he flew over to a fence post and sat - just looking around.
 



I'll probably be going back tomorrow for more!!

But then those same people I met in the trees were just leaving and I wanted to thank them for the heads up on the Burrowing Owls and she said they tho't they'd found a Northern Saw Whet.  I was curious because I hadn't seen any for about a month and she brought her camera over to show me a shot they had taken of it.

NOT a Northern Saw Whet.


At first I tho't it was a Screech Owl but I'm going to go with Rob Belnap on this - it's what's called a Flammulated Owl.  I'd heard of them but sure never tho't I'd be seeing one.  

 
He was high up and a bit hard to get a shot of - I'm happy with what I got of him!!  I had to get on facebook and message Rob and Collette to come back to see - I think they broke the speed limit getting there!!

Was a great day to go birding!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment