Monday, November 14, 2016

The Little Saw Whet

I just have to have a day off and it's a good excuse to run up to Market Lake!  I love seeing the Great Horned Owls but searching for that little Northern Saw Whet - - - they really are a challenge to find and I'm so happy when I finally spot one.

Crazy, huh?

I ended up seeing 6 Great Horned Owls today.  That's a record for me!  There's two that aren't in the main trees and they were in their usual spots.  The first one in the main trees could be seen from way down the path and he was still perched there when I finally got down to him.

  
I got some shots of him and then walked on north to see what else I could find.  The other 3 Great Horned were sitting where you could see them - barely - but it was impossible to get any shots of them.  Oh well - they still count!!

So I'm headed back south and even tho' I've already searched these trees I'm walking by I can't help but search them again!

Good thing!!

There he is!!  He's pretty high and sitting up close to the tree.  And he's had a successful hunt - looks like a mouse of some kind.


Eventually he closes his eyes so I leave him be.  Ok - I walked away and then went back!!  He was still sleeping.  

This time when I was almost to the car I spotted 2 Squirrels as they chased each other around a tree trunk.  I stood and watched them and the one stopped and came down to check me out.  I still don't know how they survive with all those owls around!


And here's a shot of one of the two Great Horned Owls that aren't in the main trees.


So I went on home and forgot I had laundry to do (oops! Oh well - there's always tomorrow!)  Then about 3:30 I headed back north again.  I was going to see if the Saw Whet was still in the same spot, get some sunset shots and see if the clouds would clear in the east for some of those SuperMoon shots.  

Two out of three ain't bad!!

The little Saw Whet was still in the same spot with his little mouse.  This time he actually looked down at me so that was good.


So Cute!!

I found 2 of the Great Horned Owls again.  The one was just behind me as I got my shots of the Saw Whet and this one was a bit further up the path.




I stuck around to see if the setting sun would shine on the Saw Whet - not like I wanted but it was certainly worth staying to find out!!


But I did stick around for a sunset shot (or 80!) and chose this one to share with you.


Was a Great day off.  Now it's back to work for me tomorrow.  Bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment