Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Bitterns and Herons

I'll usually see these birds along the side of the canal areas at Market Lake.  This is the first time I've gotten lucky with the American Bittern and saw him on the far side as he looked for something to eat.

At first when I stop he goes up in the grass and tries to hide but then he came back out and did some "fishing".
 

First you have to sneak up on them -


And you have to have lots of patience and be quick - 


And sometimes it paid off - 


And then he'd start all over again -


This is the first time all year I've gotten lucky with the Great Blue Heron.  Was glad I finally got some shots of one.  This one was also looking for food.


Slow and steady - and then he gets ready - 



Success!! 


He - or she - was having pretty good luck in this spot while I watched.



I spotted another Heron just down the road but this one wasn't going to stick around for me - but I did get a few shots of him as he flew down the canal.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment