Friday, August 26, 2016

Market Lake - August 26, 2016

I can't believe August is almost over.  This year is just flying by!  

I had the day off - at least until I answered my phone!!  Got up this morning and was on the road by 7:30 to check things out at Market Lake.  All quiet on the drive north past the water so I pulled into the parking for the trees and slowed as I went past the spot where the Soras and Rails have been.  Today there's one of the young of the Black Crowned Night Herons looking for some breakfast.  


Off to the left is a second one - both of them stand still as statues.

 
They weren't catching anything so I moved on down to park the car.  Right as I walk down the path in the trees I stop to get a few shots of what I believe is a Sage Thrasher.


Some of them fly off to my left so I stop again for a few shots and here the one I'm shooting has an injured eye.

  
Ouch!!

Down the path I go and stop again when one of the little yellow birds that keep flying by me finally stops long enough for me to get a shot of him.  Looks like a Wilson's Warbler.


Then the very best find of the day is just down the path!!  The Great Horned Owl takes off before I even see him but as he flies away I see he's caught himself something.  I slowly follow behind to see if I can see what it is.

I finally catch up with him about half way down the trees and slowly pass him so I can see what it is he has.  It's a Muskrat!!


I stand and watch him for about 10 minutes before he finally turns and flies back down the way we'd come.


I have to go that way to get to the car so I get a few more shots of him as I pass by.


Wonder how long he'll sleep before he starts eating??  I won't get to find out because my phone rings and even tho' the caller ID says WinCo I answer it anyway.  Yeah.  I'm dumb like that!  They have someone NOT showing up so they get on the phone to find someone willing (dumb) to fill those hours so I get to go to work later today.

I stop and check the water there by the parking area and find a Sora this time.


Pretty quiet as I head towards home - I stop for a pile of ducks.


And a Double Crested Cormorant - I catch him just before he takes off!


Ok - better get the car unpacked and lay out the work clothes!  Later!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment